I happened to be walking around during morning rush hour in Rome when I saw a carpooler getting picked up by his ride. Being from North America, this sight amused me to no end. When in Rome, right?
I've never been one to celebrate Valentine's Day in a big way, but this year it was a good excuse to test out a recipe I've been thinking about in my head: strawberry heart pancakes! When sliced, strawberries are naturally heart-shaped and pairing them with my favourite fluffy pancake recipe creates an absolutely darling breakfast dish that's almost too cute to eat.
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• strawberries, cored at the top and thinly sliced
- Create "sour" milk by combining the milk and white vinegar in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until all lumps are gone.
- Heat a lightly greased pan over medium heat. Place a strawberry slice in the hot pan and immediately pour half a ladle of batter on top. When bubbles rise to the top, carefully flip over with a wide spatula and cook the other side until brown.